Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Ten of Pentacles

I'm often astonished at the sublime synchronicity of cards and days:

enjoying affluence
having material abundance
being free from money problems
enjoying business success
feeling financially secure
seeing your ventures flourish
having a run of good fortune

Hmmm. Let's see, I had a conversation (while having a manicure, how appropriate is that?) about how I'm in a place where I do not worry about money. Can't actually tell you what my bank balance is, and have very little worry that when I check it (which I don't do regularly) it will be lower than expected. As a result, I sent what most of my immediate family most wanted as gifts this year - money. Now they all think I'm rich...and I am. I can have what I want, when I want it. I can just say "make it so" and there's a BIG mirror in my bathroom, placed there by the handyman. Please take care of this, and a gardener friend shows up to prune for winter. Only the truly affluent can do that without worrying about the long-term affects. And I admit it. It feels great. Yesterday I was very consious of this.

seeking permanence
looking for a solution that will last
creating a lasting foundation
feeling secure as things are
being concerned with the long-term
having an orderly family life
moving beyond makeshift arrangements
nailing down the plan

Yesterday I shared with my "in the know" supervisor that I'm plannning to stay with my company for at least another year. Sometime over the past fefw days I made that decision: I *like* working 32 hours a week. I don't mind filling in as the receptionist. I *like* the security, even if I do miss the challenge. I can see some new, fun and different things filtering towards me, and I am ready to meet the challenges. I like having rapids only every few miles of a lazy river. And that is my golden opportunity here in my current job. A lazy river. Good pay, good benefits, good relationships. Good work-life balance. I can focus on improving my skills. I can focus on development for myself and the company. I realize this as I walk into my house, decorated for the holidays, with gifts under a 'Soltice' Tree. I am safe, secure and comfortable. I do not HAVE to change. It is my choice, and right now, I'm pretty cozy.

following convention
staying within established guidelines
proceeding according to the rules
taking part in traditions
becoming part of the Establishment
being conservative
trusting in the tried-and-true
continuing in known patterns

I sent Christmas gifts, even though I am not a "Christian." I do it because it is expected of me, and I am therefore choosing to express my appreciation for my hubby's family only at the time of the year that they find it acceptable to do so. So be it. It is a tradition, and I don't mind being part of the establishment...there is always the opportunity for subversion!

No comments: