Thursday, December 15, 2005

Six of Wands

Today is a big day. Today I generate the report that a handfull of folks have been working toward (and an equal number of people have been working against) for three months. We've been collecting data and drawing conslusions in line with our opinions. I'd like that last word to be "observations" but in good conscience, I'm not sure that is the case.

The Six of Wands is telling me that all the glory, acclaim and come-uppance are due for the hard work and angst poured in over the last 3 months. Today I have the task of summarizing and writing the report itself. Shouldn't be hard. I have a template to follow from last quarter. The task is writing, which I enjoy...which is...'effortless,' right?

Not so much. I came in and didn't get right to work. I did some reading, replied to some personal e-mails, worried a bit over some of the remaining, missing data...procrastinated. and I'm still doing it. Covering the front desk, writing in my blog - logging all the past missed days of no writing and projecting out my cards for the next few days as the season gets busier and busier. Is this an attempt to shorten my day, reduce the time I have...just in case I can't get the task done today. There's always tomorrow. And well, they don't need me for anything else .

I don't actually think the recognition is coming - I fear the opposite...retribution. I do honestly want to be helpful and support improvement within my company. I just wonder if I/the team have the ability - the knowledge to actually do that.

No comments: