Tuesday, November 01, 2005

King of Wands

Along with the writing process, one of the few activities I have done which slow my brain and body in a peaceful way...and feel "effortless" is Tarot Reading. So what does that mean? Not much, other than that Rorshach would have had a field day with me.

AND, that when I interpret images through verbalizing, I am more easily able to access my thoughts, feelings and beliefs. That's what Tarot is, right? Using a random, fixed visual element to give insight - otherwise known inmy mind as access to the known, but squelched.

Many in my hypothetically vast audience know that All Hallows Eve is a traditional Pagan holiday. On the last day of the year (Fall being the death of the year, after the harvest), spirits (hopefully good and helpful ancestors) have the easiest time lending their power to the physical world because the veils between the worlds of the living and dead are weak and thin. Pagans in SF (and probably the world-over) call upon their ancestors to buoy them and make positive, earth-healing, peaceful magic. The rituals are beautiful, meaningful, and some of the best "church" I've ever attended in my life.

Several years ago, I was with a group of wonderful, powerful pagans on Halloween and invited to do a Tarot reading for the New Year. Since then, I've had a secret wish to find a place in my reality based life for spirituality that can work harmoniously with the squashed idealism of my world view.

Since it was Halloween, and The New Year, I sat down to do a reading, not for the upcoming year, but on a specific topic: financial advice on actions to take within the next 3-6 months. The reading last night was fascinating because all the cards came out upside down. I interpreted that as a small indication that I might not have been asking the right/most pertinent question, since there isn’t a whole LOT of insistent energy about finance right now. On the other hand, the reading also indicated that I get down to earth, move through the boredom and hesitation and do something so that I can have a huge benefit! YAY! Just what I would have (did) told myself...go figure.

More than just some information I interpreted, I realized that yesterday was divided into pre-reading and post-reading. Before I sat and did the reading I was nervous, hyper, busy, anxious and felt like the whole world was hectic. After the reading, I was pensive, relaxed, and while just as busy, I felt more like I could glide through my tasks elegantly - even my dislike of taking out the trash was muted. When my husband was late for a party, I just moved past the frustration that it would have been helpful to have him...and straight onto, "well, what happens next?" I even let the answering machine get the phone TWICE - a sure sign that I was inexplicably resistant to interrup attack.

Based on the purely physical/emotional experience of sitting in a quiet, safe place, thinking, and shuffling and centering and focusing, I decided to do daily tarot card pulls. Perhaps if I can find small moments to pull in that centered, focused energy, I can make a positive change in the overall energy web of my days.

My card for today is the King of Wands: CREATIVE, INSPIRING, FORCEFUL, CHARISMATIC, BOLD. This was a pretty great omen for the beginning of my work week. After a conference call that I was technically late for, but which had not begun despite this (nobody starts without the King!), I was able to take a solid leadership role on an old problem with a new urgency. I was also able to stop and brainstorm with the group - coming up with options that I don't think any of us had considered before, but which will nicely solve one problem and set good precedent for resolving an ongoing irritation.

An hour later, my company gave me the $100. reward for composing the company’s new tagline: Power through Innovation. I had sent it in weeks and weeks ago, but it is certainly meaningful and encouraging that that energy came back to me today!

It is okay to my rational self that the card creates a connection between being creative and inspiring and being rewarded. It was with that energy that I crafted my entries in the contest.

And an elfin manifestation of my spirit is laughing and prancing and pointing at my silly rational mind, because it knows that my emotional reaction of "Fun, synchronous, mystical...Maybe" is ONLY a lot of rationalization; He knows that I as I was shuffling this morning, I had the sudden, irrisitable impulse to pull the card right out from the near the bottom of the deck...

No comments: