Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Moon

Today's card is The Moon. The Moon is a "reinforcing" card to the Two of Swords (yesterday). Like the 2ofS, I pulled the card reversed, diluting its influence. Again I felt anxious and fearful when I pulled the card - no surprise, since I knew a little bit about the card from reading about the 2ofS...enough to experience the light touch of dread.

Keywords include: Fear, Illusion, Imagination, and Bewilderment.

Being under the moon is navigating an unknown, alien landscape that I fear I am not equipt for. I interpret this to be a little bit about a new project that I conceived of last night, based on what I learned in my seminar.

The project requires using skills long unused, and other abilities that might be strong, but will have to be used in an entirely new way. I deeply fear that I will not be successful because while contemplating the project, although I feel it is important work and "should" be done for me to consider my tenure in this position complete - in reality, the work does not thrill me with intrinsic gratification. It is so much easier to tread the path towards a known and loved destination than follow a map into a strange arena of unknown potential.

(My husband points out that weaknesses are targets for "practice" and "growth." I think he was channeling me.)

It is also possible that The Moon reflects the imaginative and creative impulses from my inpiring evening. I walked away from the hotel with dozens of ideas for implementing and re-working and integrating learning in new ways. The variety is in fact bewildering, and I'm a little lost with how to begin!

I especially like The Moon's reference to how something can change your whole outlook:

"If you look around the room right now, you will (probably!) see people and objects that are comforting in their familiarity. Everything is exactly as you expect it to be. You know that if you closed your eyes and opened them, the room would be the same. But...have you ever lost the familiar to find, in its place, a world so extraordinary you can't even grasp it? This is the experience of the Moon."

I feel this way, and one piece of that is remembering my dreams from last night. More about that later.

No comments: