Thursday, November 03, 2005

Four of Pentacles

Blocking Change. Posessiveness. Control. Wow, those are some Yvettissues allright.

[On an unblocked change note, I have figured out how to format my blogwords. There's this tab thing labeled "Compose....."]

Today, I am in-too the status quo. I've been paid by an employer to spend much of my day thinking and writing about that which has absolutely nothing to do at all, in any way, with my work. Well, maybe.

In my Paradigm Shift post (I'll try to learn soon how to create a link there), I think I alluded to the way my boss contantly challenges me to not get stuck in my own sense of what is "RIGHT." Perhaps there will always be errors in data and we should accept that, and focus energy not on trying to prevent those errors, but rather on the problem-solving behaviors of our workforce.

Instead of finding root cause of the errors and rooting it out, what if we accept the errors and attempt to instill forgiveness, helpfullness, wilingness to follow a job through until it is done without blame, and accountability in our workforce. Hmmmm. {YEAH, RIGHT!?!(*%^)&%}

Is it possible that accepting the status quo - that we cannot change and must fight our (I am beginning to believe this) utterly lame-ass consultant-ware system - could lead to something even better for the organization? A Problem-Solving Workforce?

What does problem-solving require? Recognition of the problem. Industriousness or self-motivation or curiosity to determine: What happened? and How can I fix it? or Who can I ask about fixing it? NO BLAME - just results.

I don't work in that place. Today, I would rather protect and defend my sanity and my conclusions that these behaviors are NOT acheivable by me, for me. Only acheivable if the company inspires a place and time to clarify the expectation and then manage the consequences, whatever they may be.

This company - and the people in it - are desperately posessive about blocking change, controlling what they have, and refusing to give it up - even for something that could be greater, better and more rewarding down the line.

I don't like the four of pentacles world, and I am not changing my position on that, Dammit!

No comments: