Monday, October 31, 2005

Cockatoo Blues...


Happy (ACKAACKAACKAACKA) Halloween. Today I am NOT loving owning a cockatoo. Yesterday, I got nipped (REALLY, REALLY big bird) and today he just wants to SCREAM all day. Completely bizarre.

So now he is covered - to give me 10 minutes of quiet and writing time...and he's peeking out from around the cage cover. Saying "Hello," being cute and lovable. Do you think animals KNOW how much they are toying with our emotions?!?!

Birds are especially hard (per my husband) because they have no "mammal" body-language. I can tell that Jeremy is getting ancier and ancier, but I never know if he's just gotta go to the bathroom, of if I should be preparing to call for an Emergency-room visit. Unpredicatable.

So why put up with it? Well, it HAS to be better than a kid. I mean, I can put him in a cage and cover it without Cockatoo Protective Services showing up at my doorstep. Ideally I would be a better parent, with clearer rules and a better understanding of acceptable behavior (which does not include screaming your head off, thank you!)...but I'm not even sure I know the steps to take between here and there....

Sort of like life. The small steps that lead us from place to place and decision to decision can either be well-lit signposts in our native language, or thugs in the dark with baseball bats. Nice. And no clear way of knowing which is which.

I need to go study up on my Tarot for readings tonight. Happy All Hallows, World. Thank you, ancestors.

Yvette

No comments: