Thursday, March 02, 2006

"When you know that all is Light...

...You are enlightened."

Who was the first person to put little sayings and phrases on tea bags? Irritatingly brilliant.

Irritating because sometimes I just want a cup of tea, not a flash of the metaphysical. But something about my personality compels me to actually read and ponder phrases such as the one above, when they confront me dangling by the cup handle....

Brilliant because sometimes a little "ponderous" is EXACTLY what I want - a flash of the metaphysical: A moment to ponder and enjoy thinking, "What does that mean - 'all is light'?" Can my boredom be 'light?' Can war and hate and poverty be 'light'? Can it be that easy to be enlightened, or, in addition to the pun, is the tea bag somehow mocking me....

Either way, the fact that there is a statement for consideration on the tea bag string (is there a technical term for the tab of paper at the end of a tea-bag-string?) causes a mental ellipses in the flow of a day. The consciousness will slow for a moment's recognition and decide whether to skip it, or linger there, but the opportunity - Ah! That is an achievement beyond the quality of the tea.

No comments: