Sunday, January 25, 2015

Day -35

Wow.
I will be getting on a plane to London 5 weeks from today.
WOW.




Today's travel planning included a Skype call to Villa Trapp: CONFIRMED staying in the Von Trapp Family Estate in Salzburg. (OMGOMGOMG!!!)


Also a call to my friend Greg who lives outside of Vienna. He encouraged me to stay near his home (he's in the suburbs) during the weekend, for maximum visiting time with his family. He's going to look into the nearby options for me.

I will be in Vienna, with his family, for Easter Sunday. Huh. I wonder what THAT will be like?!?!

He also recommended spending the rest of the week in the heart of Vienna. His recommendation seemed like a good one, and I spent some time today playing with VRBO, Starwood, and Mileage Plus points to see how cheaply I could stay in Vienna. Turns out, I can stay so cheaply that I do not pay anything.

SUCCESS!!! That's right! I have a hotel on the Ringstrasse for three nights and I will pay zippo. zilch. zero. THAT my friends, is the beauty of paying for everything with a credit card that you pay off every month: POINT! POINTS! POINTS! It feels like a win, but of course, credit cards must be managed, which takes time...so you pay one way or another.

I also sent an email asking for confirmation for the last booking of the Salzburg portion of the trip, in my now-patented, book once, check twice plan (Thank you United!). As some of your read on Facebook previously, I called and booked my flights via United, using mileage plus points.

And got no confirmation.
And got no confirmation.
And logged in and saw "This reservation not ticketed."

Whoah?!?!?

So I called to double check, and whaddaya know? NOT TICKETED meant....No Tickets.

I re-booked, the flights with very little trouble, but now I'm moving forward with that plan - if I don't get a confirmation email, I'm emailing, calling, whatever I have to do. Sure I *CAN* fly by the seat of my pants, and I *COULD* throw money at problems as they arise during travel, and I *WILL* do those things and *BE FINE*...but plan for the worst and the best will happen, right?!?!

Now I shall have dinner with my husband, watch a little TV and take my Rick Steve's England book to bed. I have two side trips that I still need to decide on, and a couple of walks to notate in my maps.







No comments: