Thursday, January 29, 2015

Day -32 basking in travel planning success

When I began my planning for the 42/42/42/ trip, I had just over 198,000 United Frequent Flier Miles. Now I have 15:


So, what did I get for my miles, you may ask?

  • A one-way ticket from Santa Barbara to Heathrow
  • A one way ticket from Munich to Santa Barbara
  • A 15% discount, and $412.00 credit towards a 2 night stay at the St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel (a.k.a. Valhalla, from Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency) 
  • A 3 night stay, FREE, at the Le Meridien Hotel in Vienna, on the ring, in the opera section of the old town.


It may not seem like much, but I'm quite pleased. The points allowed me to get to/from Europe, and I know I will have breaks from the "tramping" lifestyle, when I can just be in a luxurious hotel. Both locations also allow me to be VERY close to where I need to be for both sightseeing and travel.

Since these are interspersed with plans like "Leave London; Go to Goonhilly Downs in Cornwall" and "Visit Greg's family for Easter," where accommodations are likely to be MUCH more dodgy, overall, I'm considering this a BIG WIN.

I have to say that I am often skeptical of Credit Cards in general, and annual fees for credit cards specifically. The United card has really paid off this year though - between the miles for flying for work, and the free bag, I am not AS resentful of paying them for the priviledge of extending me credit.

Just a little.
Still.



No comments: